Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage power supply - Recap [Longish]

John Rumm wrote:

The local MCBs are 16A for power and 6A for lighting - so, under
overload conditions, should trip prior to the 32A one at the house
end. Of course, if I cut through a wire and connect live to earth
before live to neutral, the RCD will trip and I'll lose the lights
as well. I guess I have to live with that.

By a slight change to the choice of CU though that is easy enough to
avoid.

Could you elaborate on that please?

The other earth wire goes into an adjoining cupboard which houses
the gas meter, and is clamped onto a gas pipe.

So no main bond to the water service then?

Yes there *is* - but the water comes in elsewhere. The earth wire goes up
through the ceiling from the CU, and drops down into the kitchen where the
mains stop-tap is located.

Box looks like:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ble/index.html
or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ded/index.html

Thanks for the links. I now see what you mean.

I take your point about burying the gland in the wall.

In which case why not chase down the bathroom wall as described, but
rather than installing a metal box in the bathroom, simply drill
throught the wall at that point (keeping within 6" of the bathroom
ceiling). You can stick some capping over the T&E to facilitate future
replacement if you wish.

Now install your cable and plaster over the chase leaving no visible
accessory in the bathroom. Now visit the other side of the wall where
hopefully you have a bit of T&E dangling, and poke it into the back of
one of the aformentiond boxes (a IP65 one would probably be a good
choice here). Screw it to the wall, and you can then stick a nice neat
SWA gland into the knockout at the base of the box. Choose the right
box ad you may even get one complete with junction terminals. That
means your joint is accessable and serviceable, no extra clutter to tile
round the bathroom, and no groveling in the loft!

That's certainly a possibility. It means that I would be making the
connection while perched 16' up a ladder, but I could probably terminate the
SWA in the box before fixing the box to the wall. How would I seal round
where the T&E would come in?
--
Cheers,
Roger