Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default What gauge is this extension cord

mm wrote:
I have a 100' extension cord from the junk, and I wondered if there is
a way to tell what gauge the wire is. The ends are molded on so I
can't see the wire.

I only know that it is a lot heavier than my current 100' extension
cord, but I don't know what gauge that one is. Also, sometimes they
make things thicker and maybe heavier just by adding more
rubber/vinyl.

And it has W-8 embossed on one end.
I searched on W-8 'electric cord' and got two good hits but they
were just about cords being recalled, and they said they cost between
6 and 90 dollars depending on length and gauge. So I guess W-8
doesn't tell me anything.

Is there any way to know?

The cord type and gauge should be embrossed or printed along the jacket,
about every foot or two (I don't remember the minimum distance)

Bob