Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Jet 1442--my last lathe?

If you have been turning and don't have a variable speed lathe (from 0
to 3,000 rpm), and then get one that does have it, you wonder how you
got along without it. The reeves drive is better than a step pulley,
but not a whole lot. It is a very handy item. The 1442 should do just
about anything you want to do for now. As far as tools go, you do want
high speed steel. There are many off brands that work just fine.
Finding a local club is good also. It (Beaver State Woodturners) has
been the biggest learning experience of my 8 1/2 years of turning. You
may also be able to find some used tools for less than new prices.
robo hippy
wrote:
I'm strictly a newbie to the world of turning myself - just got into it a
little over a year ago. I don't feel qualified to comment on the lathe
(although, sometimes I dream about a large Jet - I have a 12" Craftsman - a
bit old, but runs good and couldn't beat the price - $00) But I did invest
in the Sorby bowl gouges and scrapers (I waited for a sale) and would
recommend getting those. It's like most tools - you pay more for quality (My
parting tool, on the other hand, is from a discontinued set that I picked up
for a song, somewhere.
I suggest that you take a class somewhere (Woodcraft stores usually
offer some) or find a local turning club and have someone help you get
started. It can be a fun hobby (obsession , but if the blank is a little
too off-balance, it can also be a little scary. Good Luck
Tom

wrote in message
ups.com...
Occasional lurker, first time poster here...

I have been offered a brand spanking new lathe in the $1000 range (by
my mother) in exchange for converting some cherry I've been air-drying
for a couple of years into 2 custom end-tables with turned legs. The
closest I've come to turning wood is watching that Yoder fella on PBS.
As of right now, it looks like table legs are going to be my primary
turning projects, at least right off the bat. Chair legs and spindle
work sound appealing as well. Pens and platters, not so much. I've
seen some segmented bowls and the like, and that looks interesting and
challenging, both from the flat and round perspectives. So, that's
what I feel like turning, having never turned anything G.

I feel like I've done my due diligence (thank you Google) but there are
some organic touchy-feely questions I'd like to ask:

1. Is the Jet 1442 a good lathe for the money? My reading revealed a
strong support for the Nova 3000 in that price range, but I could only
find the electronic speed control model for $2200 or so. Anyone have a
lead on the manual speed adjust? I assume it will be considerably less
expensive.

2. Is the Jet 1442 the last lathe I'm likely to ever need? I
understand that $5K on a Oneway is likely to be the last lathe I'll
ever need, but realistically? In my mind, the Jet 1442 appears to be
on the same par with a solid contractor's saw, but definitely no
Unisaur. However, lots of folks get by with contractor's saws, and
make beautiful stuff with them.

3. Am I missing some critical point in lathe comparisons? Jet, Delta,
Grizzly and Nova were all machines I looked at in the price range, and
the 1HP motor and price sold me on Jet over the others. I figured that
with a twisty headstock, the extra swing wasn't worth the money, but
the larger motor was. I also like the fact that, apparently, the Jet
can be put closer to the wall than the other models. Mass was also a
consideration.

4. I'm thinking of purchasing midrange turning tools--we'd all like
the Sorby stuff, but is a Sorby gouge 3 or 4 times better than an
off-brand? Any recommendations to that effect?

5. Am I missing anything? Am I now an informed consumer?

Thanks, y'all.

-Phil Crow