Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage power supply - Recap [Longish]

Andy Wade wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Hager do a MCB sized HRC fuse carrier, which can solve that problem
in many cases....

Oops, quite right, I forgot that option.

although having just typed that, I remembered that
Roger's CU ain't a DIN rail jobbie anyway, so this is of little
practical use to him! ;-)

Doh! - his picture tells all, and I guess the new circuit is going in
the empty fuseway on the right (currently 15 A). In this case the
obvious thing to do is to use a 30 A BS 1361 fuse and not another
plug-in MCB.

Yes, the circuit is going at the extreme right - which currently has a blue
base for a 16A MCB.

I may well still have a 30A fuse - not sure about the BS1361 bit though - is
that something special? [The CU started off with fuses, and was converted to
MCBs!]

What is the rationale for using a fuse rather than an MCB? Is it that it
takes longer to blow, making it more likely that the one at the garage end
will trip instead? If so, it makes sense, but it flies in the face of the
advice given in the earlier thread which said that I needed a Type B (and
*not* Type C) MCB on account of only having a 2.5mm^2 earth wire for most of
the length.
--
Cheers,
Roger