Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thoughts on heating and the like..

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yesterday, I noticed that despite me being stripped to a T shirt, in a
workshop type room I have, the thermostat that controls the winter
heating in that room, was ON..Ok it wasn't actually controlling anything
because that whole zone is switched off for the summer, but it seemed to
say that the temperature was a mere 16C.

Now in WINTER that room needs to be up around 20-22C for comfort..

Is it merely that the rain was puring down, and the humidity was
shockingly high?

It occurred to me that a dish of water in each room in winter, would
make the place SEEM warmer by dint of raising the humidity to the point
where sweating would not cool the skin so much.

But in winter we dont cool by sweating, at least not to a very
significant extent. High RH also reduces comfort, causes condensation,
mould and rot.

It is a popular myth that humans are thermally like a wet bulb, in
reality we are somewhere between wet and dry.

NT