Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default How much PSI can this pump produce?

Stuart Benoff writes:

Right. I am thinking there's a problem with the pump. I'll open it up
and check the impeller, etc.

Advice in this thread is confusing pool *circulation* pumps with pool
cleaner *booster* pumps. They are very different. The booster pump
characteristics, the lines and hoses, and other components are not
comparable to the usual guidelines for circulation pumps.

Why? The purpose of the booster pump is to create and transmit hydrodynamic
power to the cleaner for application in the turbine motor and the venturi
vacuum, not so much to move water volume which is adequately delivered as a
by-product of the power transfer. This power has to go thru a skinny hose
so as to maintain flexibility. So you want a pump that delivers low volume
at high pressure. It's the opposite for pool circulation pumps, where you
want high volume circulating and absolutely don't care about pressure for
pressure's sake. This is analogous to electrical power transmission and
why high-voltage lines are used for long distances.

I am not up to date on the exact specs, but I believe your 15 psi is way
too low. When my Polaris 180 comes off the hose and the loose hose flails
around the pool, the water coming out is like an 80 psi city water faucet.