Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Tiling non-flat/uneven walls...again?

deano wrote:
lid wrote:

Fix 9mm "plasterboard" with drylining adhesive to level the walls,
then tile.
Robert

I don't think I've got the room... everything's very tight and this
wall is adjacent to the door that you enter the room by. Admitted, the
door opens and lays flat against the wall in question, but there is
practically no architraving on the hinge side of the door... I've got
about 12-15mm door lining sitting straight on that wall, due to a very
narrow passage-way and that's it!

I'll give it a gander 2moro and see if that could work but I'm
doubtfull!

Thanks for the reply.

deano.

Run a length of 2" x 1" across the wall, chop out the obvious high
spots, and plaster the valleys with bonding. Keep running the timber
across the wall side to side to keep the plaster level (wet it to stop
it pulling off the wall). As you say, you don't need a good finish. When
it's dry, seal the wall with a weak PVA mix (say 5%), which should
penetrate and not form a film on the surface.
It's just a question of whether you fill the dips with plaster in
advance, or with tile adhesive as you go. The latter option can get very
expensive and take ages to set