Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Need to connect 1/4" copper tubing to garden hose.

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
I am trying to connect the water supply to my evaporative cooler via a
garden hose, then a 1/4" copper line to the cooler. If I run copper all
the way it plugs up in my hard water after a year or so. But connection
between the hose and copper has me stumped.

I wrapped the copper line with duct tape until it would just fit inside
the garden hose. Then I used two hose clamps to hold it. A few hours
later evidently the water pressure in the hose, though only on slightly,
had pushed out the tape-wrapped tubing. I next tried winding some wire
around the tubing and hose and wrapping it with waterproof tape. I don't
expect it to work.

I need a way to go from 1/4" copper tubing to male garden hose. I asked
about it in Lowes this mrning when I bought the hose. They didn't know of
anything.

So this seems like this project will be a failure unless I can come up
with something. That water pressure is relentless. I will either need to
use waterproof cement or come up with a series of connectors. I thought
about silicon caulk squeezed in at the hose end around the copper
(retaining the wrapped duct tape and hose clamps) but I don't think it
will work either.

Any suggestions please?

I've seen all the parts you need at Lowe's. Look in the brass fittings area
in plumbing. You will want a compression fitting to attach to the copper
and whatever they stock to adapt to the hose.

Bob