Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default How much PSI can this pump produce?

According to Stuart Benoff :

[his posting showed that it was the proper "lines" for the
application.]

Right. I am thinking there's a problem with the pump. I'll open it up
and check the impeller, etc. It is 6 or 7 years old so maybe it's time
to replace it?

Pumps tend either to work to full (or darn close to full) spec, or not
at all. Anything "intermediate" to that will probably not be something
that needs the pump to be replaced (eg: plugged impeller, other
obstructions), or be very obvious (eg: the pump motor/bearings are _very_
hot, major housing leakage etc.).

Depending on how the impeller is designed, it may be partially plugged.
Or perhaps badly chipped.

Our pool pump plugs up with debris from a certain plant that sheds
for a short period during the summer - this stuff is rather like
short pine needles, gets through all the screens, and promptly
plugs up the impeller. It's not an "open impeller" (one circular
plate with vanes), it's more like a water wheel with very small openings
(two plates with narrow curved water channels between them). Has to be
disassembled and cleaned out once or twice a year with pipe
cleaners - you know, the "fuzzy wire" kind ;-). Symptom is simply
poor flow.

[Seem to have bypassed _that_ problem this year.]

Given that pool water is usually relatively well screened before
it hits the pump, that type of impeller could be fairly normal
for pool boosters too.

I thought he said 67 but we had a small language barrier so I suppose he
could have said 6 to 7 and not 67. Now that I think about it 67 gallons
of water is a lot to move in 1 minute.

Yah.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est