Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default American toilets

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news
On 2006-08-23, Mary Fisher wrote:

Oh come on! I've been very impressed in the last few years. The Welsh
public
toilets on the roadside which I've used are excellent - and numerous.
Most
British service station lavs are clean and well serviced, the only
problem
(this is personal and doesn't apply everywhere anyway) is that some have
piped music or radio.

No paper towels. Hot-air dryers don't work and are unsanitary. Would
any of the businesspeople who have them installed use them at home? I
don't think so.

I've no idea about that but hands dry without artificial aids ... I don't
use hot air or paper on environmental grounds.

Why is hot air unsanitary and why doesn't it work?

I suspect that those who have them installed use terry towels at home. They
could be said to be unsanitary which wouldn't really matter in a domestic
situation but it would in a service station if lots of people used them.

A couple of years ago I went to the lav in the Savoy in London. It was very
swish and warm, dry, unnecessarily large, white towels were given to each
person. They were then dumped in baskets for laundering. Luxurious but
wasteful.

Mary