Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AC output on rear of amplifier - strange configuration (not strictly DIY)

In article ,
wrote:
I know that this isn't strictly DIY but the regulars here seem to know
so much about unusual plugs and sockets.... and I'll try to get it
back on topic at the end :-)

The rear of my Yamaha amp has a switched AC outlet that I'd like to
use to power my CD player - the CD player transformer has a low hum
when the unit is on standby and the rear on/off switch is a bit
awkward to reach on a regular basis so the switched AC outlet from the
amp seems ideal.

The only problem is that I can't seem to find a plug that will fit it
- I've looked on CPC etc. but I can't seem to identify the socket and
the Yamaha manual is about as much help as a (insert really useless
thing here).

The socket looks something like this
(ASCII representation, fixed pitch font will help)
______________________________________
| __________________ |
| |__________________| |
| _ _ |
| | | | | |
| |_| |_| |
| |
|______________________________________|

i.e. a bit like this
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=CN01756
but without the small centre pin.

Does anyone know what it's called / where I can find a plug?

If I can't find one I'll just have to obtain a chassis socket of the
same size with a matching plug, and replace one in the amp (back on
topic for D.I.Y.?)

I had the same problem and what you want is a Euro Facility line plug and
modify it by cutting off the earth pin. You end up with the two pins plus
the plastic tang which engages in the slot you've shown, and the body of
the plug is a good fit in the socket recess too. Mine is marked Bulgin
P770.

The socket shown at CPS appears to be what I mean.

I've got a couple of these plugs spare and could scan one if you want to
check sizes, etc.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW