Posted to rec.woodworking
Kgorden Kgorden is offline

Default Lexan for jigs

"willim" wrote in message
wrote in news:1156283102.389344.3920
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I see most crosscut sleds use 3/4" plywood for the base, but why
couldn't I use 1/4" Lexan instead? It's a stable material, isn't it?

Mike

Lexans attribute is that it does not scratch as easily as other plastics.
I use 3/8 all the time for jigs. It is used as trays and stuff for
wheelchairs.
1/4 is a little thin for a sled but I think it will work if you are
careful. Chamfer edges, holes and slots; cracks will propagate.

Bill

Actually Lexan (Polycarbonate) is much softer than acrylics like
Plexiglass. That is what gives it its impact resistancs, down side is at
does scratch much easier than Plexiglass.

Also cost about 2X Acrylic, 1/4" thk is around $10.00 sq/ft.

Kevin