Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Lexan for jigs

wrote:
I see most crosscut sleds use 3/4" plywood for the base, but why
couldn't I use 1/4" Lexan instead? It's a stable material, isn't it?

Mike

I usually have piles of plywood and MDF cabinet offcuts available for
jigs. I would have to purchase Lexan to use it. Wood is easier to
shape, brad nail, and glue for a quick jig. Typically, I'll buy Lexan,
UMHW, plastic laminate, metals... only when I have a specific
requirement, and only if it'll be for a many-use tool.

Look in any metal shop,, wood shop, plastics shop, etc... Most shop
jigs will be made from whatever materials they often work with, because
they have some, they work with the material often, and the correct tools
and sundries are already handy.

The bottom line is if you like to spend time and effort building pretty
jigs, Lexan would probably work fine. Aluminum is nice, as well. On
the other hand, if you make many jigs on the spot, specifically for an
operation at hand... There's nothing wrong with either approach, it's a
personal choice.