Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Decking - lay frame on concrete, patio slabs or ????

On 22 Aug 2006 14:11:46 -0700 Greystoke wrote :
I'm looking to build a 12'x14' deck at the rear of my garden. The
ground has been cleared and is currently just a soil patch between the
victorian dividing garden walls. The question is, what should I lay
the frame on?

I've read a number of articles that say placing the frame on a number
of strategically placed patio slabs will suffice; others that say I
need to bore a number of holes and make some concrete pillars !!
Obviously the first options sounds far more appealing, but will it
work properly??

I've got as far as the concrete stumps. I used a post hole borer from a
hire shop which creates neat holes that don't use a lot of concrete.
With the holes bored I first put in a bit of dry mix and rammed it
firmly into the base of the hole, before filling the rest - cutting the
bottom off an old bucket made a suitable funnel to get the concrete in
without also adding lots of soil.