Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where's the spam gone?

Zoinks wrote:

My complaint is that it's difficult to find an ISP that filters at
source (i.e. at their end) and prevents the spam being delivered to your
end.

www.clara.net

Setting up their filters is not easy, but about 80% of it can be stopped
by adding a rule that BOUNCES mail from sites marked as blacklisted open
relays.

ISP's maintain an active policy of blacklisting..there are nerds who
forward mail that is spam to these sites and if an open relay is
detected they automatically add it to the blacklists.

Next step is to block anyone who hasn't got a valid reply address. That
ditches about half the rest. These get silently deleted as there is
nowhere to bounce to.

Then blocking ALL the AOL, yahoo and usual domains gets rid of most of
the rest - though in this case I have to punch holes for the one or two
people I know that actually use those domains.

Then a final filter on my desktop allows me to trash most of the rest
that slips through. Which is frankly because I have currently about 10
email identities on three domains..and haven't set up decent filters on
all of them.

Once spam is considered a crime worldwide (it *is* a crime in the
UK) it will be easier to deal with. The fact that the whole approach is
fraudulent seems to have gone unnoticed - it can't and doesn't work.
No-one would buy drugs from a company after reading their spam-email but
a spamming company has obviously sold the service to someone.

I don't think spam is a crime, unless done for malicious purposes.

Its just junk mail, that's all.

If anyone can prove to me that they have purchased something off the
back off one of these spams, get in contact because I have a lovely
bridge I'd like to sell you.

BTW: The random messages are a long-term attempt to dilute the rules of
your (Bayesian) spam filter. If it ends up with rules that are totally
convoluted it will become useless and need to be retrained. The way to
deal with this is to delete these messages rather than label them as
'junk'. Yes, practically impossible - that's why they are doing it.

Egg sucking lessons
http://www.hidemyemail.net/how-to-stop-spam.php
Not my website, but seems reasonable.
To each there own, of course.