Posted to uk.d-i-y
Zoinks Zoinks is offline

Default Where's the spam gone?

Anna Kettle wrote:
On 22 Aug 2006 19:15:55 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

Apparently there's a very large spamming going on at the
moment, which is delaying much email (and regular spams
no doubt). If you are not subject to this large spamming,
then you will probably see a drop off in email until
systems clear the backlog. Sorry, don't know any details,
just a warning put out by my ISP (not Demon, contrary to
what you might think).

I seem to be a recipient. In the last three days my spam rate has gone
from about 20 a day to over 1000 a day, mostly the sort where my email
address has been used to randomly email all over and so what I get is
the 'not known at this address' bouncebacks. At least they are easy to
filter out

Does anyone know an authorative source where I can keep an eye on the
'world state of spamming' It would be good to know I am not alone and
more importantly if anyone is likely to get caught and stopped.

I have a 'third party list' ISP spamtrap in place and also one on my
email program. The ones that get through both filters seem to have a
random 'From' a random 'Subject' and a gif for the message. I'd like
to trap those too...

People moan about the state of the world today, terrorist security
measures ... but I have never felt threatened until this spam deluge
arrived

Drowning ...
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____|
www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

You have my hearfelt sympathies.
I've had over 20 e-mail accounts, going back over more than 15 years and
every one has eventually drowned in spam.

There is something very unsettling when you feel that your e-mail
address has been used in the spam headers of some dodgy company. Let me
assure you that because the headers are generally completely forged it's
very obvious that it's not you.
When I was running a business I felt particularly vulnerable because the
thought that you can end up on a spammers list is pretty troubling. I
ended up at the sharp end of tens of thousands of bounced e-mails. It
did, however, go away.

My complaint is that it's difficult to find an ISP that filters at
source (i.e. at their end) and prevents the spam being delivered to your
end. Once spam is considered a crime worldwide (it *is* a crime in the
UK) it will be easier to deal with. The fact that the whole approach is
fraudulent seems to have gone unnoticed - it can't and doesn't work.
No-one would buy drugs from a company after reading their spam-email but
a spamming company has obviously sold the service to someone.

If anyone can prove to me that they have purchased something off the
back off one of these spams, get in contact because I have a lovely
bridge I'd like to sell you.

BTW: The random messages are a long-term attempt to dilute the rules of
your (Bayesian) spam filter. If it ends up with rules that are totally
convoluted it will become useless and need to be retrained. The way to
deal with this is to delete these messages rather than label them as
'junk'. Yes, practically impossible - that's why they are doing it.

Egg sucking lessons
http://www.hidemyemail.net/how-to-stop-spam.php
Not my website, but seems reasonable.
To each there own, of course.