Posted to uk.d-i-y
squelchy squelchy is offline

Default Loft Conversion

Hi

I have a few questions about converting my loft, I have read a few
threads on this site and found out alot of very usefull information but
alase no answers to the questions I have.

I live in a terrace house with a 9m by 4.5m loft space which is all
open with no obtrusive w shape or v shapes to be seen. It has two part
walls it does have 2 jiosts 8" by 2" on the floor and 4 (two each side)
one quite low to the roof and the othere about 1.5 meters up from floor
hight these rest on the party walls can some on please advice the best
way to creat a workable floor space I will be useing the area as
storage and possible office I am awair that to convert this I would
need a 30 min fire barrier with stairs and loft insulation but I will
be unable to fit the stairs as have no room due to other work done on
the house before we bought it I have fitted a nice set of wooden loft
ladders that retract and this will surfice for my needs and I will be
fitting an excape velux after the flooring is done.

my neighbour has alrady converted his loft and terned it into a very
nice space he has fitted stairs and done a proper job on the face value
of it but I asked him for advice and he know nothing of the structual
forces at work and had just guessed the best wood to use he has also
not gone through building regs which I am not to chuffed about but dont
want to start world war three with them as still got to live there.

My question is this what is the best configurational layout i.e jiost
on hangers or pun through the party walls ? if so could some one let me
know what the calculations are for the size of the wood or what wood I
would be best to use.

by the way I also have 4"x2" lengths of wood running from the frount
to the back of the house 9m split in to and resting on the centre wall
of the property.

any help would be greatly recieved.