Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Bad water heater element, guests coming soon!

"Jazz" wrote in message
ups.com...
loved the DOS joke... lol!
I bought two elements today, called rheem customer support and they
told me what to get, i also bought the tool used to screw them in
(since they are screw in). Figured id replace bouth.

I was thinking "the heater is 12 years old, ill just buy a new one" but
the installed price was like over $700, so I fugured I would try this
one first...

Yeah, my dad told me about the "quick draw" mehtod, but all the same i
think I will drain it, in case there are any sediments...

if you guys dont hear from me by this weekend, it went well... if it
was a disaster, ill prob be back.
thanks again!
Jazz Mann

PS... yes, tennessee valley authority. Honestly, he has worked there my
whole life and retired recently,... and still, to this day, I cant tell
anyone what my dad does or did... i always jut say "He works for TVA"
that either stumps them or they nod in understanding... either way they
stop asking.

12 years ain't that old so replacing the element was probably a good call.

I would definitely drain it before working on it, in doing so you might also
get rid of whatever it was that caused the problem - like all that rust and
mineral deposits.

Watch the drain, sometimes they don't want to shut off after you open them,
might just try to flush the drain with water if it doesn't want to close all
the way - sometimes rust and or minerals get caught in the valve.