Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking - lay frame on concrete, patio slabs or ????

Greystoke wrote:
Hello all,

I've been looking at a number of websites and books on laying decking,
and it's left me very confused :¬(

I'm looking to build a 12'x14' deck at the rear of my garden. The
ground has been cleared and is currently just a soil patch between the
victorian dividing garden walls. The question is, what should I lay
the frame on?

Can you fix to the walls? If so, one or more sides could be supported that
way.

I've read a number of articles that say placing the frame on a number
of strategically placed patio slabs will suffice; others that say I
need to bore a number of holes and make some concrete pillars !!
Obviously the first options sounds far more appealing, but will it
work properly??

If you can't fix anything to the walls, then build a square 12 x 14 frame
from 6x2 timber. Lay this in position, make sure it's square. Mark the
ground on each corner.

Dig a hole in each corner about 18" deep and fix 4 x 4 posts in the holes
with concrete.

Fix the frame to these, get it level & trim the posts flush.

These things are superb for fixing decking joists & timber.

Fill in with 6x2 joists at 16-18" spacing. Now get a FB to wander about on
the joists. Where it bounces lay a slab on the ground, level it & fix a
piece of timber to the joist to give support.

A 6x2 will span about 10' without too much bounce, above that it needs some
support.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman