Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20689 Ignoramus20689 is offline

Default Steps for installing a transfer switch

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:29:56 -0400, Robert Morein wrote:

"Ignoramus16089" wrote in message
I would like to install a real transfer switch like this one

Our house is wired for 200 amps, so this is the right size for us.

Is this 200 amps at 120, or 200 amps at 240? You have 240 service, but are
the amps 200 from hot to hot, or the sum of each leg to neutral? 200 amps
at 240 is 48kw. I question because 48kw is vastly in excess of typical
residential power requirements.

I have a 240V panel, and the breaker says "200" on its handle. It is a
breaker that would open if current through one of its legs exceeded
200 amps (that's a nominal rating, meaning that it would allow for
momentary overcurrents to some extent).

While I rarely use 43 kW of power, I do at times use a lot of
power. Example. I am TIG welding in my garage, my wife is cooking a
lot of food on the range, my A/C is running, etc. That could easily
add up to 140 amps or more (and would be a very rare occurrence).

Consider the possibility that the next size down the 100 amp unit,
is the fit. The 200 amp unit is a HUGE box! It's designed to switch
a 48kw hot load.

Well, I would surely be happy to use a smaller and cheaper box, if it
was possible, but it is my understanding that the rating of transfer
switch should match the rating of the house's electrical service.

We have a master disconnect. The transfer switch is located between the
master disconnect and the main panel. We use a second transfer switch to
disconnect optional loads, and shunt them directly to a 2nd generator.

sounds interesting.