Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Problem

According to Jamessa :

wrote:
Jamessa wrote:
It could be the breaker or the wiring. Or even both. It's perhaps
more likely to be the breaker - especially if it's a GFCI.

If you're unable to come up with your own method for isolating
which one is the problem, you're probably best off getting an
electrician in to look at it.

I feel I could replace the breaker myself by killing the main. It is a
GFCI. I was thinking it it was a bad breaker it would not stay on with
the main power cut off to it, which it does. When the power is put to
it it won't stay in the on position at all, thats why i'm afraid that
there is a short in the tub.

Uh, no. A bad breaker may or may not "stay on" with the power to
it cut off. Depends on what the problem with it is.

It could be overly sensitive. It could have a fried GFCI circuit.
The latching could have broken.

It could also be an electrical leak in the tub, whether it be high
enough to trip a regular breaker, or only enough to trip the GFCI
portion of the breaker.

nah breakers are cheap, try replacing breaker first and let us know the
outcome.

the storm likely fried the gfci sensor part of breaker

I will do that tonight! Thanks for your help and I will let you know
the outcome.

GFCI breakers aren't cheap. If you swap in a regular non-GFCI
breaker instead, you could kill yourself if there's something
wrong with the tub.

This is one time where blindly replacing components (particularly
with ones that don't meet code requirements) is a very bad idea.

If it were me, I'd not replace anything until I could prove exactly
what was broken, and what isn't.

For that, you need some electrical knowledge and some test equipment.
Bare minimum, a trustworthy volt/ohmmeter and preferably some sort
of dummy load (if only a lamp).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est