Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Caught: Lowes Price Chicanery

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 08/22/06 10:36 am Jack wrote:

Fortunately Michigan has pretty strict "item pricing" consumer law, and
if a price tag is affixed to an item the store must charge that price,
regardless of what the "computer" says the price should be. Once I
pointed it out manager was very good, charged me 25 bucks per roll and
I left satisfied, but suspicious.

I have often been very grateful for this Michigan law, especially at Best
Buy, where I have often found items on the shelf with price stickers
considerably lower than the currently advertised price (in addition to
other identical items priced higher than the currently advertised price).

I think that they must affix price stickers reflecting the price when the
stock arrives or when it is put on the shelf, even when it's only a
"temporary price drop" (or whatever term BB uses), and they forget to
change the stickers later. I've saved big bucks on such things as hard
disks (especially since BB seems to have abandoned mail-in rebates in
favor of instant rebates).

But in general, yes, I think that all stores sometimes raise the "original
price" from which they are offering a discount.

Perce

Having worked in retail for over 25 years, I can tell you that it is common
practice. Especially at Sears. And watch out for the sale prices when a
store closes. Was working at a Sears Hardware when they were closing most
of them. They hired a "close out specialty" firm to handle the closing.
Almost all items were cheaper the day before the close out started. I was
discussing this with the man who was handling the sale. I mentioned that I
had lived in Arizona when the Home Base chain went out of business and the
state and the media had a field day with the way they had actually raised
prices instead of lowering them. He said he was familiar with that as that
was were he got his start doing the closeouts. As P.T. Barnum said.....

Tom G.