Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default hv sparking problem

wrote:

I cleaned the anode cap and the tube where it attaches. I experimented
a little more and found that the sparking happens when the horizontal
half of the yolk is connected, but using the horizontal section from
another yolk, I get a dot in the middle of the screen, so the tube
works at least a bit. Can I assume that if i get a dot, then the tube
is fine or could there still be a problem with the tube?

definatly coming from under the cap. Is it possible the HV is WAY to
high? if so and I manage to seal it, would this cause problems?

These 2 paras appear to contradict each other, so I can only say I dont
know whats happening. As you didnt replace the rubber cap and lead,
really its hard to conclude much.

could a problem in the ABL circuit cause these results? I suspect
there may be one because I found some blown resistors.

ABL? whats that?

NT