Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default HP54542A lithium battery was discharged making oscilloscope appear faulty

Enjoy ths scope,

I certainly will. I have been using it since it was new. It was
originally chosen in competition with LeCroy and Tektronix.
The reason it won the competition was that it was the only
one which could capture 1ns glitches at slow timebase
speeds. Even now, many digital 'scopes will miss narrow
glitches when the timebase is set to something like
100ms/division. The disadvantage is that the display is not
updated until a whole sweep has been captured. This does
not suit everyone, but I have found it to be a worthwhile
tradeoff because I can see things that other much newer
'scopes miss. I also have a set of 800MHz FET probes.
These make a big difference compared with passive
probes - the positioning of the ground connection makes
MUCH less difference to the captured waveform.

John