Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Dead TVs

Ken Weitzel writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Yukio YANO writes:

tundra wrote:
Friends of mine have recently had 2 new TVs go out within 6 months or so of
each other. Both were covered by warranty but I wonder if this is somehow a
voltage problem. First one was a crt tube type and the tube burned out after
1 1/2 years. Replaced it with an LCD which lasted only 3 months. They live
in a small town out in the boonies so I don't know if their power signal may
be poor. Any recommendation on how check this? Can electricians measure
voltage fluctuations? They don't have a good surge protector or power
conditioner but they didn't have one on their old tv for decades so they
figured they didn't need one. Are newer tvs more susceptible to voltage
irregularities? Anybody have an opinion on the value of a surge protector on
a tv? are things like power consoles (like a Belkin PF30 Power Console)
worthwhile
insurance?
SL

Consider a "Floating Neutral" !
Can happen on ANY 110/220 grounded Neutral installation.
Will cause as much as 220 volts to appear on a normal 110 outlet.
This is NOT a line surge, but the end result is the same !!!
The most obvious symptom is lights that brighten and dim momentarily as
other loads cycle on and off, refrigerators, microwaves, air
conditioner, washers but not Dryers (runs on 220) and does not use the
Neutral except for the Dryer motor which runs constantly during the
drying cycle.
Yukio YANO

Or a thousand other things, including just garbage quality TVs to begin
with! It's unlikely for any power problem to kill a picture tube.

Need more info. Make and model would do for a start.

Hi Sam...

I agree, but the op said "the tube burned out"; which could
mean just about anything...

The set died, the picture disappeared, the raster disappeared,
etc...

Not necessarily or even likely that it "kill(ed) the picture tube"

Yeah, I guess that could very well be.

"My car doesn't go anymore so it must be a dead engine." :-)