Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default Decking - lay frame on concrete, patio slabs or ????

Greystoke wrote:
2 adults, gentle use, method one.

large family, frequent use, bbq's etc, method 2 but concrete pillars
is probably going OTT, breeze block plinths would suffice.

Thanks for the quick reply. The use will sort of be in-between the
two; mainly two adults, but regular bbqs etc in the summer.

The breeze block plinths sound interesting - are they a thing in their
own right, or are you suggesting laying the frame on a number of
breeze blocks rather than the patio slabs?

Cheers.

the breeze blocks take the place of the slabs.

imagine this from the erlund house on grand designs

http://www.erlund-house.com/images/C...s/DSCN1267.JPG

but with standard thermalite/heavy blocks blocks a lot closer to the ground
(depending on the height you want the decking, obviously). if you want to
avoid fixing into the adjoining walls you can also locate the joists into the
blockwork to prevent lateral movement. I'd attempt some asci art but it's
late and I can't be bothered, sorry, I'm sure you know what I mean and can
adapt the erlund example :-)