Abdullah Eyles

Default GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Martin wrote:
On the box it states not suitable for use with timers or photo-cell
circuits. Anyone know why? I'd like to run it from a timer or light
detector thingy and leave it on all night.

It would depend on the design of the timer or sensor. The way round using
any sensor with one of these is to add a relay.

The electronic timers contain a "Triac" as the switching element;
these cut the mains waveform to switch off/on. Because the Energy
Saving bulbs have transformers in them, they present an inductive
load, thus preventing the triac from switching off correctly. This is
the same for fluorescent tubes as they contain a coil (ballast)...

I'm not sure if adding a relay will solve it, because the relay may
behave in the same way...

The only solution is to get a detector/timer that includes a relay -
if you can arrange to test it in the shop, listen for a 'click' sound
as it switches. (put your ear close to but not against the timer!)
These should be marked as being compatible with energy
saving/fluorescent fittings.