Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] calvinsff@hotmail.com is offline

Default Pioneer RX-570 keeps blowing fuses

first, dont go poking around with a meter with a needle. Get a digital
meter if possible, or know where you are poking. The reason being that
the needle type meters can cause current to flow where it shouldn't.
That is you might blow things by just looking at the resistance across
them. This is especially true with mosfets, but it sounds like you
don't know what those are.

If you really want to learn electronics, get the service manual to this
thing. It might be available on the net somewhere for free or a small
fee. just google it. Then figure out what the symbols in the schematic
of the service manual mean and what they do. know what a transistor
does. This is a good start.

To directly answer your question, the round thing is a resistor. Get a
resistor color code guide (free on net) and it will show you that red
red green (in that order with a 4th band after green) is 2.2 mega ohm.
thats a lot, and probably wont make the needle move much, but a digital
multimeter should be able to read it ok. Usually resistors are ok
unless they look bad, but not always. I usually asume they are fine
and only test them when i get really stumped.

Hope this helps.

Matt Evans wrote:
Hello! I'm new to the forum. Hope someone can help me.

I am looking at a surround sound stereo receiver for a freind (Pioneer
RX-570). Every time i plug it in it blows a fuse inside the unit. I've
opened it up looking for any obvious signs, but nothing looks out of order
except for the blown fuse. I borrowed a multimeter and probed around a bit
looking for broken circuits or whatnot. The only thing i found that was out
of line to ME (having little experience) was that there was a brown,
cylindrical object about a quarter inch long with two red and one green line
going around it in which when probed, had no needle movement(in ohms) on the
multimeter. I have placed the probes on it different ways on either end but
no dice. I did some reading on the net about it and i believe it to be
resistor. It's my understanding that resistors resist current, but do not
block it, so i figure there should be SOME current coming through, shouldn't
there? I have no training in electronics and know very little about it, but
i'm hoping to learn. If someone replys trying to help me, please keep the
lingo simple for me. Thanks!