Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default 5A fuse replacement in fuse box - does not quite fit...

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:44:02 +0100 someone who may be Andy Wade
wrote this:-

Of course I do :-). The lowest impedance domestic mains supply I've
ever encountered was about 0.05 ohm (phase-neutral loop) so c. 5 kA
fault level.

At the risk of being thought to be a fan of "mine's bigger than
yours" discussions, the highest I have found in a house is 12,000A.
The house concerned is perhaps 10m from the transformer which
undoubtedly feeds the house. That is fed by I guess less than 100m
of 11kV cable, which is fed by less than 2km of 33kV overhead, which
comes from a large compound into which a number of pylon runs of
132kV size congregate.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh