Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Bad water heater element, guests coming soon!

wrote in news:akuke2l7hpc3tuqq619kfh6k75f4v7udu8@
4ax.com:

On 21 Aug 2006 19:53:45 -0700, "Jazz" wrote:

I am a computer guy, not a handy-man, so forgive the stupidity of my
question...

I have a Rheem 40 gallon water heater.
240 volts, 4500 wattage, model number 81V40D C ...

My dad, a water heater inspector for TVA, tells me the top element is
probably bad (We have some hot water, but runs out pretty fast now... i
trust his judgement since he has done it for over 25 years).

I bet it is the bottom one, sorry dad.

I agree.

If the top one is bad you won't
get any hot water.

I disagree...if the bottom one still works.

That is the one that comes on first.

Disagree again. Bottom one comes on first because that's where the
coldest stored water is. Also, the cold water in dip tube goes to the
bottom of the tank.

That is the
"quick recovery element" to put some hot water in the top of the tank
right now. When the top thermostat is made it switches to the bottom
and heats up the rest of the tank.

Disagree. When the top thermostat says turn on, it shuts the bottom one,
which should already be on, off. When the top is up to temp, the bottom
will go back on to bring the lower half of the tank up to temp.

If top one is bad it won't make any
hot water to make the stat and flip to the bottom so you are stuck.

Ughhhh! Incorrect.

A quick look under the bottom cover will tell you what kind of element
it is. If it has 4 bolts around the wiring terminals (3" or so
pattern) it is bolt in. A screw in only has a big hex nut type end.

BE SURE TO TRIP THE BREAKER BEFORE YOU POKE AROUND IN THERE!

Also be sure water is running free out of a hot water faucet before
you turn it back on after replacing the element.

Absolutely key advice!

Let it run a minute or
more to be sure there isn't an air pocket in the top or you WILL have
a bad top element.