Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default Composite Decking Yellowing in Sun! (Dow Symmatrix)

said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
A friend of mine has purchased enough of Dow Symmatrix for a fairly large
sized deck. Grey color which is officially called "driftwood"
apparently.

It is yellowing in the sun while sitting in the driveway. Almost to the
same yellow that old newspaper gets after a few decades out in the open.

The salesman told her words to the effect of "That's an industry wide
problem with gray composites: they yellow due to the tannin within the
wood
particles but it'll fade back to gray in a week."

Seems sketchy to me.

It's been a few weeks and it's only staying yellow.

Has anyone seen this? My composite decking was Rhino Deck, and it faded
just fine from brown to light light brown with no yellowing---not much
information for my friend but it was the only comparison I had.

Any suggestions? She's nervous enough to return the entire thing.

Assuming there is a warrenty on the product I would send the company a
letter confirming the salesmans comments and wait a week or two. If the
stuff goes to an acceptable color then all is well, if not then you
need to arrange a return,

In my opinion if this is a known issue then the customer should be
advised of it. I would hate to have a half built deck that turned a
urine yellow color...it would freak me right out.

Yeah, well, they're very hesitant to spend all the energy in installing it
without knowing for sure if it'll return to normal. It's been well past the
week that the company claimed it would take for the yellow to "fade back to
gray".

Have any of you ever heard of this "industry wide problem" with gray
composites? Seems really fishy...

--
Puzzle: You are given a deck of cards all face down
except for 10 cards mixed in which are face up.