Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default How to clean anodized aluminum

Walter R. writes:

How can I clean up the stucco blemishes and the paint? I have tried
alcohol, and goof off, and paint remover, without success.

Methylene chloride paint remover for the paint. Nasty stuff but supremely
effective. Not a lye based remover as this will eat aluminum.

Stucco is easy to remove with acid, but that eats aluminum. I would get
off what you can mechanically, then spray on CLR (or Zep clone) acid
cleaner (milder than muriatic acid usually used for cement cleanup), scrub,
and rinse quickly as soon as the residue is loosened. Polymer-modified
stucco is tougher because the admix makes it resistant to acids.
Experiment on an inconspicuous area first.