Posted to sci.electronics.repair
EDM EDM is offline

Default DVD burner laser reliability

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:50:21 +0200, "Bart Bervoets"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Don't know about that but I always burn at a lower than maximum speed
because apparently the "image" is burnt deeper and supposed to be less
liable to long term temp/humidity/corrosion corruption of the stored disc
data.

Agree there, i have tested this on some sample dvdr's and after burning the
same image
at 1x, 2x, 4x and 8x i could already see the imprint on the disc getting
much lighter.

That's a worry. I would have expected that the firmware would have
adjusted the laser power for a consistent burn at all speeds.
Apparently not.

Cheaper models don't have an adjustable laser, and for the cost
of ones that do (BenQ, NEC etc, around 35-40 clams) there's
no excuse for using one that doesn't.