Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Gerberding Rich Gerberding is offline

Default "Kankakee Clay Partition" building materials?

Thanks Dan G, EXT, and dpb for your responses, links, and knowledge.

I appreciate your help!!

Rich

"DanG" wrote in message

Sounds like normal terra cotta wall blocks to me. Here is more
information if you want:
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/14512.shtml

These were quite common building units, replaced by CMU today. I have
encountered several gypsum block walls which were similar, but cast of
white gypsum - not as strong as the terra cotta blocks.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Rich Gerberding" wrote in message
Anyone out there ever heard of "Kankakee Clay Partition"? They are clay
building materials that are throughout an old (mid 19th century) barn
building a group I'm part of is looking to purchase in Peoria, IL.
There's a town called Kankakee not too far from Peoria but so far I
haven't
had time to do much digging beyond the internet.

The pieces appear to be extruded blocks where stacked one way you see the
sides and they look solid but stacked the other way you can see the open
structure. I can find some pictures to share if it would help anyone
out.

Thanks.

Rich
Chillicothe IL