Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
dgadams dgadams is offline

Default Update - Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:42:03 -0400, nospambob wrote:

Top posted for your convenience.

Really appreciate the commentary! Senior moment was cause of my 13A
circuit breaker goof, reality check discloses a preponderance of 15A
and a few 20A breakers. House had major re-do about 15 years ago and
a second panel was added although it has mostly 15A also. Have struck
out getting electricians to return calls although one did and set an
appointment that wasn't kept. "Been on vacation and didn't know that
he didn't keep it" with follow on call with "Guess you'd better find
someone else as we're swamped". Builders are running the same course.

Considering the multitude of Store It Yourself building being metal it
doesn't seem like condensation with drips falling on content could
help them survive. Understood that they probably lack heat & air but
still. Either way air & heat are part of the equation! Our DIL asked
a local builder for rough estimate for 20X40 building, not specifying
what material but I presumed wood, and got "About $35K to $40K" that
included air & heat. Call to his office about 25 miles away got "We
don't have much going on in your area but I'll let him know and if
interested he'll call" but no call to date.

Still pondering and really hoped for users of the metal clad
observations. Got one user saying he's ready to tear his down and
replace with wood frame. Window air unit is dropping humidity and
keeping garage somewhat livable but we moved into the house in Jan
2006 so don't have winter experience. More chatter welcomed!

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:42:15 -0400, wrote:

Previous owner had land graded for a workshop but didn't follow
through to build it. Currently try to do woodworking work around
inadequate space and electrical capability in cramped half of small 2
car garage. Electricians don't return calls to upgrade garage by
adding 2-3 new circuits and wood frame builders react the same. A
builder of metal buildings has visited and called back with answers so
we're considering going with him.

Would like users observations both sides of the fence and would they
do it again type of comments. Cabinets on walls could be made to be
free standing if screws into the frame aren't viable. Double car door
and personnel door and three windows are minimum at this time.
Air/heat required in Augusta, Georgia area. Septic for half bath and
sink are no problem as we can't connect to the existing one.

Four duplex receptacles and garage door opener plus one ceiling light
all on a 13A circuit. A 12K window air conditioner is all that should
be on that circuit at one time but I have sneaked the lathe on without
popping the breaker but shop vac pops it in no time.

Anxiously waiting comments! TIA!!

I have a buddy who put up a 30x40 foot metal truss / metal skin building a
few years ago. He had the foundation work done by a pro and did
everything else himself. Dual 240/120 outlets every 6 feet. Eight foot
fluorescent lighting, insulation, heating, and cooling. Doing all the
work himself (including excavation for the foundation) his cost was about
$20,000. He uses it for a combination woodworking/metalworking shop. He
is happy with it. Condensation isn't much of an issue seeing how it's in
Albuquerque, NM.

D. G. Adams