Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default chimney breast removed - damp patches on wall.....!!

zonecrew wrote:
Hi

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on a problem I am having with
damp patches on my dining room wall where there used to be a chimney
breast.

We bought the house a year ago and there were no signs of any damp on
the wall (previous owners must have painted before selling) Anyway,
when I got the keys I noticed damp patches on the wall where the
breast used to be, from the top of my wall down the wall, but not
actually on my ceiling. The damp isnt coloured with soot, its just
wet patches and is NOT a problem at all in the bedroom directly
above. The breast was removed all the way to the loft conversion and
there is a slight problem in this room but strangely the damp IS
coloured a light brown colour in this room.......!

I have tried to paint the problem with anti-damp paint but within 4
months the damp has come back. The flashing was done last year so
there is no problems with this

any help would be welcome

Is it an exterior wall?
If it is, then it's likely to be penetrating damp, have you checked the
outside brickwork?

If it's an interior wall then your flashings have failed, why the damp isn't
showing on wall in the bedroom between dining room and loft is a mystery,
maybe that part was rendered with damproof render, either way, the rain is
getting down one way or another, if it backs onto another chimney (next
door's maybe) then it could be coming down their chimney and running into
your wall.