Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Lawn mower repair question.

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:58:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

On 20 Aug 2006 12:09:36 -0700, "
wrote:

a broken connecting rod would be memorable noisey event, short but
exciting.

Nothing like the sound a "knocking rod", spun rod bearing, or broke
valve.

sounds more like a stuck valve, thats occured here

Easily checked at the tappet filter / crank breather (if this model
has one) - remove it and pull the cord...the valves should move and
easily viewed.

I think I had one once, where the pin holding the spring in place had
come out. One spring of the two was fully extended, even more than
needed to close the valve. The spring was iirc loose, because nothing
held it in place at one end. At the time, I would never spend enough
for a valve spring tool, but a shop could have fixed it in a few
minutes I guess.

The easy way; pull the plug wire and plug, determine
which digit goes into the plug hole. Rotated through all four
strokes: intake, compression, power, exhaust - you can feel the intake
pulling the finger, Compression stroke will blow the finger out.

Oren