Ed Huntress

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"Gunner" wrote in message

[Tom said]:

Of course throwing in an unsubstantiated statement,
could be construed as a failure to defend an earlier
unsustainable post...

Certainly, as usual it's BS:

US violent crime: 2002, 23 victims per 1000 persons

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/...566383,00.html

UK violent crime: 2000-1, 13.92 victims per 1000 persons

http://www.sustainable-development.g...l/2001/03a.htm

Still what's new?

Tom

[Gunner said]:

Interesting..not what Interpol claims:
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/004236.html

Here are Interpol 2001 crime statistics (rate per 100,000):
4161 - US
7736 - Germany
6941 - France
9927 - England and Wales

Thus the US has a substantially lower crime rate than the major
European countries!

Ah, Gunner, no. You need a better class of blogs. g

Here's where those figures came from:

http://www.interpol.int/Public/Stati...wnloadList.asp

If you compare a few countries, you'll see that entire categories are
missing from some, and there are big differences in how they report the
rest. Interpol doesn't say these are crime comparisons. They say "Total
number of offences *contained in national crime statistics*." (emphasis
mine)

Tom's figures stink. Your figures stink. Both of you guys need a course in
research methodology if you're going to toss statistics around. Meet here on
Tuesdays at 7:00 PM. g

Oh, I notice that the blogger whose site you grabbed those figures from said
he didn't know what the original source was, and that the guy who gave the
figures to him couldn't remember or something. It took me all of 15 seconds
to find Interpol's statistics page. Those guys you're quoting are
incompetent buffoons.

Ed Huntress