Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
komobu komobu is offline

Default Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

I too am considering a metal workshop. I have read about the dripping,
and I can understand the heat /cooling issues. I am wondering about the
basic frame being done in metal with iron girders spaning the ceiling(I
would like a second floor or loft for storage). I am not sure what the
cost is, but to have 2*14 joists spanning 28 feet for the ceiling will
be expensive. Would iron be cheaper? Once the frame is done in metal, I
will put up plywood in the corners, insulation board and vynal siding
on the exterior. I will also put up insulation and plywood for the
interior walls instead of drywall. I am hoping this will eliminate some
of the metal shed issues, but am not sure what the cost will be.