Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16089 Ignoramus16089 is offline

Default Steps for installing a transfer switch

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:25:59 -0400, john wrote:

Ignoramus16089 wrote:

I would like to install a real transfer switch like this one

Our house is wired for 200 amps, so this is the right size for us.

I plan on getting a proper permit, but I want to understand the work
involved.

Here's a picture of our power meter:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Dies...d/dscf0209.jpg

I understand that the proper electrical placement of the TS is to
place it between the power meter and house main breaker. It is the
physical layout that has me confused.

The meter has a prepunched hole to the right, below the utility seal
line. Not sure if it is helpful. After the meter, the electric cable
goes right inside the house, to the panel that is right behind the
meter (maybe 1 foot long).

The question is, how to install a transfer switch here. I aam
obviously unable to open the meter to look, since it is sealed.

What is the normal location of the transfer switch? How is it usually
connected to the meter box?

I would think that if, hypothetically, the meter box had a prepunched
knockout hole a little above the meter, then I would tap there quite
easily, but it does not seem to be the case.

I want to do a 100% perfect job here, that would be inspected and all,
so I want to do it right. Any good assistance would be appreciated.

P.S. I would like to avoid suggestions like "just get a little 6
circuit emergen transfer switch", it is not the right one for our
situation.

The first thing you should do is to determine if you want to put
everything on the transfer switch or only the emergency equipment,
and leave off the unnecessary items. If you switch everything you
will have to have the electric company disconnect the power while
you put the switch in the leads from the meter.

Yes, that's what I want. Everything on the switch.

If you only want the emergency equipment to run ( furnace, lighting,
refrigerator, freezer) then you put in a branch ckt and run all
emergency the stuff off the branch ckt box. The switch is tied between
the branch and the main box. This can be done without having the
electric company turn off the power.

I do not want that. I want the entire house on the generator/transfer
switch, I would simply not use certain loads that are too heavy for
the generator (like central A/C).

I have a decent generator that can power my entire house if I turn off
A/C, pool heater, and use the electric kitchen range very sparingly.

Why should I shortchange myself.

Like I said in my original post, I am not interested in a transfer
switch for a few circuits.

I would recommend you consult a qualified electrician.

John