Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ppp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Wiring to garage

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:16:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I'm looking at running electrical wiring from my home to my garage. The
distance is about 60 feet. I'm located in Calgary, AB, Canada.

It appears that wiring must be buried within a conduit and that direct
burial wire is not allowed. Can anyone verify if this is the case?

This is a three car garage, with one stall being a small workshop.
Considering that there will only ever be one person working in the garage,
would a 30 amp double circuit service be OK, or should I run a 40 or even 60
amp service?

Since I'll have the trench open for electrical, and a gas line is permitted
in the same trench, would it be wise to have the gas company/contractor come
and install a gas line at the same time as I'm doing the electical?

Any information or suggestions are appreciated!

I am recalling from memory. The main point in my response is that you
can do the work yourself except for the inspection. For that phone up
the city to get the exact regulations. I am from Edmonton.

The depth of the trench is 3 feet (phone up the gas company and ask).
Get the gas company to make up the gas pipe. The City inspector will
examine your istallation before you are allowed to cover it. The gas
pipe will be tested for leaks. The pipe will be pressurized from a
nitrogen tank and the pressure must be maintained over 24 hours or
something like that. The electrical cable can be one of those that
can be buried without using a conduit. It was required to be
separated from the gas pipe with a 2 x 4 treated wood stud. Use a
cable rated for 220 volt 40 amps service as 220 volts will be useful
for running tools like a table saw. Use a sub breaker box in the
garage. Inside the house it is connected to a 220V 30 amp breaker.
The garage 220 circuit is on a 20 amp breaker so that it will trip
first before it can go back to the main panel. The 115V circuits can
be regular 15 amp breakers. I also buried a PVC conduit in the same
trench. In it I ran two lines of telephone wires for a phone, burglar
alarm(?) and spares. I also ran a coax cable for TV and maybe a
computer link. There was also an outdoor rated 115V 14/2 cable to run
power back into the house.

I have so far only hooked up the 220V system and the phone connection.
If I had my druthers I wouldn't have the gas line. It will cost too
much to buy a garage gas heater and to operate it in an uninsulated
garage. If its that cold stay indoors and enjoy something else.