Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Richard is offline

Default Weatherproofing solution for patched hole in car floor.

My elderly Range Rover has grown holes in both front footwells.

That in the nearside is actually a series of perforations over about an
A5 sized area. I can't get to the underside because of the outrigger
just aft of the A post. I also doubt that I can clean off all of the
underseal. I also do not want to cut the entire rotten area out because
I'm sure that I can't slip the repair plate into place in such a way
that there are no water traps - especially considering the access problem.

What I propose doing is MIG welding a plate over the entire area and
onto sound metal on the inside - producing a rust trap that some car
manufacturers would be proud off - and then filling the void between the
new plate and existing (holely) floor with filler foam followed by
underseal.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Richard