Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.physics
[email protected] jmfbahciv@aol.com is offline

Default Conduction, Radiation, and Convection? Is that all there is?

In article .com,
"Edward Green" wrote:
z wrote:
Edward Green wrote:
z wrote:

Ah, you have forgotten the frequently seen fourth form, which is
wrapping the hot thing up in a towel and running with it over to
somewhere else where you drop it off. It can move a lot of heat very
effectively.

Very good! That's non-convective mixing or mass-transport (to give it
some important sounding names).

Actually, reminds me of the early days of networking, when one of the
fastest protocols was still sneakernet. I.e., copy a floppy full and
run it over to the other machine, thereby transferring 1.4 meg
relatively quickly.

Yes. And what do you mean 'early days'?

Not very early. Tranferring bits on a _floppy_ is like
moving the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific with a teaspoon.

I am working for a very large company where, in my area, there are
still two non-communicating networks, and occasionally data is
transferred by sneaker net. Of course, this is going to be fixed any
day now...

These days, with those cigarette lighters, it's not too difficult.
You don't need three muscled males, a skid, and 10000 magtapes to
do it.

/BAH