Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

I read through several posts and many talk about a tin shed and
the inherent problems with same. Were you going to build a
plywood shed with no insulation and no attention to detail? You
couldn't hang anything inside a simple exterior skinned wood
building either.

I assumed you were talking about a metal building. There are many
stores, offices, and school buildings that do just fine as metal
buildings.

As you talk to a builder, make sure you are talking about an
insulated steel building. If you use a drop ceiling (works well
for heat and cool load, dust control, troffer fluorescent lights,
etc) make sure it is insulated and at least 10' clear above the
floor. Walls can be framed for drywall or wafer board and provide
space for wiring and substantial insulation. I would look very
seriously at hydronic heat in the floor. There are many farm
shops that use hot water heaters and a circulating pump to warm
the shop. If your feet are warm, you're comfortable.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
Previous owner had land graded for a workshop but didn't follow
through to build it. Currently try to do woodworking work
around
inadequate space and electrical capability in cramped half of
small 2
car garage. Electricians don't return calls to upgrade garage
by
adding 2-3 new circuits and wood frame builders react the same.
builder of metal buildings has visited and called back with
answers so
we're considering going with him.

Would like users observations both sides of the fence and would
they
do it again type of comments. Cabinets on walls could be made
to be
free standing if screws into the frame aren't viable. Double
car door
and personnel door and three windows are minimum at this time.
Air/heat required in Augusta, Georgia area. Septic for half
bath and
sink are no problem as we can't connect to the existing one.

Four duplex receptacles and garage door opener plus one ceiling
light
all on a 13A circuit. A 12K window air conditioner is all that
should
be on that circuit at one time but I have sneaked the lathe on
without
popping the breaker but shop vac pops it in no time.

Anxiously waiting comments! TIA!!