Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Window removal

Take your pictures down to your building supply store and talk to them
about vinyl replacement windows and how to install them. It is very
likely that you can put some in without touching the outside. If
you're feeling industrious, you might carefully take out a window and
remove the sill and sides to see what's there and take pics of that
too.

I would guess that if you raise the window, you can take out the glass.
Do so. Then gently pry up the inside sill and remove it. Then figure
out how to remove the bottom plate of the window. Likely it's just a
couple of screws. Take that out. Then, basically the window comes
into piece in front of you when you take out the side screws. No
reason to cut the siding. I'm no expert on windows, but almost
everyone one I've seen come out (and goes in) from the inside.

Once you've measured them up, they just order them in whatever size you
need.

If you want to start hacking around because you want bigger windows,
get ready for a major project because you have serious structural
issues to deal with then (replacing the header, etc.).

Eigenvector wrote:
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8190010.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8190009.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8190008.JPG

That's basically what my windows are like, standard 1960 single pane
aluminum frame.

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Without seeing a picture of the house, I have to ask why you can't pop
in some replacement windows and not do any cutting.

If you are cutting out the frames to put in bigger windows or
something, the siding will be the least of your worries.

Eigenvector wrote:
"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
Visit www.pella.com or the Andersen window site and download
instructions
on installing their windows. Read warranties. Without proper
flashing,
you might as well keep your old windows. The flashing should go beyond
the window frame width so I don't see how you can do it right without
removing the siding unless you use very wide trim. The flashing is
also
supposed to be attached to the paper underneath the siding (assuming
you
have tyvek or something similar).

Thanks for the link. As for Tyvek - Hahahahahahaaaaaaa, nope I'd be
amazed
if my house had plywood under the siding. It was just too cheaply made
for
fancy geegaws like a vapor barrier.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I was chatting with a buddy of mine about replacing my windows and I
mentioned that I was planning on removing the siding to get to the
window.
He basically shook his head and mentioned that typically what is done
is a
circular saw is run around the perimeter of the window and that is what
is
used to remove the window. Basically he described it as cutting out
the
siding that hides the window frame and attachpoints then installing the
new window, then using 1x2's or whatever to frame the window and cover
up
the cut the circular saw made.

Is he basically correct here. For some reason I just can't see myself
taking a circular saw to the siding as proper window replacement.