Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater bob kater is offline

Default bathroom ventilation fan

thats all that would happen, maybe a trip or two from a hair dryer etc but I
did the same thing with my vent fan and it works just fine.
"ESM" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

ESM wrote:
I installed a new fan over my walk-in shower, but the power isn't wired
through GFCI. It's only rated for use over a shower/tub if power is ran
through a GFCI.

The power is pulled off the main switch in the bathroom which ran an
overhead light (now a medicine cabinet/light), which isn't GFCI. Only
the
outlet in the bathroom is GFCI. I can't tap into the GFCI outlet in the
bathroom, because I'd have to tear open way too many walls and there
isn't
room in the attic to get to the feed wire.

But, I can tap into one of the lines feeding the kitchen, which is on
the
GFCI loop. I figure I'd just snip the wires, put in a junction box, and
splice the wires back together + 1 new 14/3 romex cable which I run over
the vent fan. I assume there isn't an issue if I did this?

Simple solution is to replace the breaker for the fan circuit with a
GFCI one.

I didn't hink of that at all. This would end up putting a portion of the
master bedroom on GFCI. There shouldn't be any issues with that, aside
from the unwated effect of extra outlets/lights going off if I tripped the
GFCI because of something in the bathroom, correct?