Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

Default Oscillating fan problem

"BE" wrote in message
.. .

Well, all that work, then it ended up getting thrown into recycling
anyway.
There was no much that I could see; the interior was fairly clean; I put
oil
on the spindle and it seemed to turn better (not too freely though).
Bottom
line: when I reassembled it, there wasn't even a humming noise. This thing
was dead. Nonetheless, it was some father and son time with my 10 year old
son. Bought a smaller unit from Home Depot for $22.

If there was a capacitor inside that would be my first thought.