Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Cellulose Insulation without Machine

Buck Turgidson wrote:

When you say on furring strips, does that mean you have about a 3/4"
deep space? If so forget that ... rip it all out and redo with 4" or 6"
space. Use fiberglass batts, whatever ... with vapor barrier, drywall
overtop. And I'd forget trying to pour cellulose ... imo not possible.

I am reluctant to tear out the drywall due to its age. It likely contains
asbestos in the mud, and it is glued to the furring strips with a black
mastic which likely contains asbestos. I think I'd stir up quite a bit when
I demo it.

I think my only other alternative is to inject some foam in there, but that
is much more expensive - about $300 or so. The cellulose is a fraction of
the cost.

Well, if you are *determined* to add 3/4" of insulation,
here is what I did:

Drill 1" holes top and bottom of each space.

Jury rig the outlet of electric leaf blower to the upper hole.
Remove inlet screen on blower motor.
Hand feed cellulose right into the blower!

It works!!

I was blowing 2 X 4 stud spaces this way because I only
had a couple to do and getting the machine was silly.
I was working from outside; you'll have to contend with
dust inside the room, but if you work slowly it should
be manageable.
Jim