Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Botsch Dave Botsch is offline

Default .2 volts between neutral and ground

Haha, no, I'm not (actually, I'm not a professor at all).

Believe it or not, a lot of the information out there tells you that you
should measure zippo between neutral and ground, but, clearly not taking
into account what we've talked about in this thread. Hence, my confusion.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:15:05 -0700, stratus46 wrote:

Dave Botsch wrote:
So, it's much more complicated, then, than the neutral and ground

are
connected together at the breaker panel, thereby equalizing the
potential between the two, so, there shouldn't be a voltage

differential
between the two (this only works if it's the same wire, same

current, and
same length run)? And that the voltage between hot and neutral and

hot and
ground should be the same because of that?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:21:19 +0000, George Pontis wrote:

Dave Botsch wrote:

I have noted on some outlets between .1 and .2 volts from the

neutral
to the equipment ground. One outlet was showing .4 when the AC

was on
and nothing when the AC was off (but, it's on the same circuit as

the
AC, hence the load on that circuit).

snip

Please Dave, tell me you're not an EE professor. As others have said,
200mV is completely normal for a modest load. I'm always amazed when
people discover there is a voltage drop (courtesy of Mr Ohm) on BOTH
wires supplying the load. Run a hair dryer on that circuit and measure
the drop again. If it stays low (1) everything is good. Elsewise,
start looking for physically loose connections. Personally, I never use
the quick-connects (those push-ins) but prefer to use the screw
terminals and make them TIGHT.

GG

--
David William Botsch