Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
RemodGuy RemodGuy is offline

Default Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

wrote:
RemodGuy wrote:
Wire is cheap,
boxes are cheap, breakers are cheap.
Best -- Terry

Where do you live that wire is cheap? It's gone up almost 400% here in
the last year.

I just checked Lowe's and 100' of 12 gauge with ground is $59. The
price I recall is $20, so clearly you're correct, wire appears to have
gone up quite a bit.

However, the original poster indicated that he was having a metal
building erected, he wants heat & air, storage, windows, garage door
opener, etc. What's the cost? (I honestly don't know) $4000? If
that's a decent ballpark estimate, an extra $120 of materials for two
more 20 A circuits seems a trivial addition. And a wise investment.

I wasn't trying to jump in your S # * T, I agree with you. I was
actually asking a sincere question about the cost of wire. Lowes in my
area had 12-2 up to $102 a roll. It's down to about $92. I found a
coil in the shop attic circa january '06 from Lowes with a $56 price
tag still on it. If memory serves me correctly, a year before that it
was about $27.

shop wiring - I would put in a 100amp 20 slot sub. I have that
now. plenty of room for lights. Plenty of openings for 220 circuits
as need. I run all the bigger equipment (jointer, planer, compressor,
etc.) on dedicated circuits. If I need to add anything, the source is
nearby and effort and cost is very low.